Nutrition And You 4th Edition By Blake – Test Bank
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) ________ is the range of motion around a joint.
A) Muscle strength B) Cardiorespiratory endurance
C) Muscle endurance D) Flexibility
2) For which of the following diseases is the risk generally not reduced by physical activity?
A) some cancers B) heart disease C) pancreatitis D) type 2 diabetes
3) An activity is considered aerobic if it
A) involves heavy weights. B) is performed under water.
C) uses oxygen. D) is performed in the gym.
4) For which of the following reasons is it important to have rest periods between sets of an exercise or between
A) to have the opportunity to measure heart rate
B) to free up time to engage in other activities
C) to ensure the breakdown of muscle protein
D) to prevent the risk of muscle strains or other injuries
5) The benefits of physical activity include all of the following except
A) decreased HDL levels. B) the reduced risk of certain chronic diseases.
C) more restful sleep. D) improved immune function.
6) To increase muscle strength, you should perform a ________ number of repetitions using ________ weights.
A) high; light B) low; heavy C) low; light D) high; heavy
7) The best way to improve flexibility is to
A) stretch. B) run. C) lift light weights. D) lift heavy weights.
8) The best way to maintain body weight is to participate in approximately ________ minutes of moderate- to
vigorous-intensity activity on ________ days of the week while not consuming excess calories.
A) 60; most B) 40; 4 C) 20; 3 D) 30; 7
9) Conditioning or the training of muscles
A) increases their ability to store glycogen. B) decreases their ability to store glycogen.
C) decreases their ability to store fat. D) increases their ability to store lactate.
10) Endurance athletes are advised to consume ________ grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.
A) 0.8 to 1.0 B) 1.6 to 1.8 C) 1.2 to 1.4 D) 2.0 to 2.2