Human Nutrition Science for Healthy Living 2Nd Edition By Tammy Stephenson -Test Bank
Human Nutrition, 2e (Stephenson)
Chapter 11 Water and Major Minerals
1) In the human body, water is involved in ________.
- A) transporting substances
- B) providing energy to fuel cellular activity
- C) protecting polyunsaturated fatty acids from free radical damage
- D) alcohol digestion
2) In the human body, water is involved in ________.
- A) providing energy for physical activities
- B) protecting DNA from oxidizing agents
- C) regulating body temperature
- D) making mineral nutrients
3) Approximately ________ of the average adult male’s body weight is water.
- A) 60
- B) 45
- C) 75
- D) 90
4) Maintenance of normal extracellular fluid volume depends largely on the extracellular concentration of ________ ions.
- A) hydride and bromide
- B) nitrogen and potassium
- C) sodium and chloride
- D) iodide and sulfide
5) The movement of water through a selectively permeable membrane is called ________.
- A) osmosis
- B) water permeability
- C) facilitated diffusion
- D) hydrolysis
6) Maintenance of normal intracellular fluid volume depends largely on the intracellular concentration of ________ ions.
- A) hydride and iodide
- B) potassium and phosphate
- C) oxide and nitride
- D) sulfide and bromide
7) Which of the following statements is true?
- A) Most of the water that enters the digestive tract is excreted in feces.
- B) Water and beverages comprise 100% of a person’s total water intake.
- C) Cells produce water as a by-product of metabolism.
- D) In general, fruits and vegetables are less than 25% water by weight.
8) Which of the following foods contains the most water by weight?
A) Safflower oil
C) Whole-wheat bread
D) Saltine crackers
9) Which of the following organs is not directly involved in maintaining the body’s fluid balance?
D) Thyroid gland
10) Aldosterone and antidiuretic hormone act to increase urinary ________.
A) water excretion
B) water conservation
C) sodium elimination
D) iron metabolism
11) Aldosterone ________.
A) signals the kidneys to conserve sodium
B) increases water excretion in the urine
C) is secreted from the posterior pituitary gland
D) is secreted in response to water intoxication