Theoretical Basis For Nursing 3rd Edition By McEwen – Test Bank
1. The categorization of middle ranges theories by the terms “high,” “middle,” and “low” refers to which of the following?
A) The number of concepts in the theory
B) The ability to generalize the theory in nursing
C) The degree of abstraction in the theory
D) The number of research studies conducted with the theory
2. Which of the following theorists is considered to have a theory in the high-middle range?
3. Which of the following is not a concept included in Benner’s Model of Skill Acquisition in Nursing?
B) Clinical knowledge
4. What is the central purpose of the model developed by Benner in the Model of Skill Acquisition in Nursing?
A) The model demonstrates the need for nurses to conduct research.
B) The model focuses on the need for caring for clients.
C) The model seeks to describe clinical expertise including six areas of practical knowledge.
D) The model is useful in assessing a nurse only in the first year of practice.
5. Which nurse theorist focused her work on the importance of culture and health and healing?
6. What is one central tenet of the theory by Leininger of culture care diversity and universality theory?
A) All patients should be treated equal.
B) Respect the patient and family.
C) Optimal health is the goal.
D) Understand the individual’s view of illness.
7. Which nurse theorist developed the Health Promotion Model?
8. What is the purpose of the Omaha System?
A) It is a classification system that promotes documentation of client care.
B) It articulates nurses’ contributions, activities, and outcomes with regard to caring for critically ill patients.
C) It explains how clients cognitively process illness-related stimuli and construct meaning in these events.
D) It defines comfort within nursing practice to meet the basic human needs of relief and comfort.
9. What is the context for the synergy model?
A) Designing practice and developing competencies required to care for critically ill patients.
B) Integrating nursing and behavioral science perspectives on factors that influence health behaviors.
C) Guiding community health nursing practice and serving as a method for documentation of care and data management.
D) Explaining how clients cognitively process illness-related stimuli and construct meaning in these events.
10. The nurse theorist, Mishel, developed which theory?
A) Uncertainty of Illness Theory
B) Theory of Comfort
C) Theory of Unpleasant Symptoms
D) Self-Transcendence Theory