The Complete Diagnosis Coding Solution 3rd Edition By Shelley Safian – Test Bank
Multiple Choice Questions
- A senior citizen comes in for an influenza trivalent shot and pneumonia 7 valent shot administered intramuscularly. How is this coded?
A. 90669, 90658, 90471
B. 90669, 90658, 90471, 90472
C. 90669, 90658, 90471, 90471
D. 90471, 90658, 90669
Each vaccine must be assigned a code. The administration code 90471 is for a single vaccine and 90472 is assigned for each additional administration of a vaccine. 90669: Index>vaccine>pneumococcal>7 valent. 90658: Index>vaccine>influenza>trivalent. 90471: Index>immunization>one vaccine/toxoid. 90472: Index>immunization>each additional vaccine/toxoid.
- A patient with COPD and HTN comes in for continuing psychotherapy, which lasted 30 minutes. The psychiatrist documented the psychotherapy as well as reporting the patient’s COPD and HTN medications with problem-focused history, problem-focused exam, and low medical decision making. How is this coded?
A. 90832, 90833, 99212
C. 99212, 90833
D. 99212, 90832
CPT tabular: Medicine section: Psychiatric Diagnostic Procedures: Psychotherapy instructs to assign a code for the psychotherapy and the E/M visit code when medical conditions are addressed in addition to psychotherapy. 99212: Index>evaluation and management>office and other outpatient services>established patient. 90833: Index>psychotherapy>individual patient/family member.
- Danny Hines, a 19-year-old male, receives an injection of TdaP (Tetanus, diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis), IM. What is/are the correct code(s) for this procedure?
C. 90715, 90471
The administration of a vaccine or toxoid is always coded in addition to the vaccine or toxoid that is injected. 90715: Index>vaccine>tetanus, diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis. 90471: Index>immunization>one vaccine/toxoid.
- The Medicine section of CPT provides codes for:
B. noninvasive procedures.
D. medical equipment.
Pharmaceuticals and medical equipment are assigned codes from the HCPCS Level II code book. Endoscopy codes are in the Surgical section of the CPT code book.
- Infusion is the administration of medication:
A. into tissue.
B. via the intravenous method.
C. via the intramuscular method.
D. through a needle or catheter.
Infusion is the administration of medication through a needle or catheter.
- In which locations may a patient receive psychotherapy?
A. Psychiatrist’s office
C. Rest home
D. Any location allowed/described by E/M codes
Psychotherapy may take place in any office or other outpatient facility, inpatient hospital, or residential care facility.
- Dania Newman sees Dr. Anderson for her scheduled psychotherapy session. Dr. Anderson notes Dania is in crisis, and the session lasts 45 minutes. What is/are the correct code(s) for this session?
A. 90832, 90833
C. 90893, 90840
Psychotherapy is a face-to-face service that is assigned codes by actual time. The notes under Psychotherapy in the CPT code book clarify how to apply the time associated with the activities. 90839: Index>psychotherapy>for crisis.
- Dialysis services can be provided:
A. in a hospital.
B. in a dialysis unit.
C. at home.
D. anywhere there is equipment and someone to administer the procedure.
Dialysis services can be provided anywhere there is equipment and someone to administer the procedure.
- Which codes should be assigned for a left heart catheterization performed by transpacial puncture, including intraprocedural injection(s) for left ventriculography with imaging supervision and interpretation?
A. 93452, 93462
B. 93452, 93454, 93459
C. 93453, 93463
D. 93454, 93458
The code for a left heart catheterization is 93452 and for transpacial puncture is 93462. 93452: Index>cardiac catheterization>left heart>with ventriculography. 93462: Index>cardiac catheterization>left heart>by transpacial puncture.
- Optometry services are coded from the:
A. Medicine section.
B. HCPCS Level II code book.
C. Surgical section.
D. Anesthesia section.
Optometry is coded from the Medicine section under the Ophthalmology section.