Special Education Contemporary Perspectives For School Professionals 5th Edition By Marilyn Friend – Test Bank
Chapter 11 Students with Deafness and Hearing Loss
11.1 Multiple Choice Questions
1) The first school of the deaf in the United States was founded by:
A) Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet.
B) A.G. Bell.
C) Laurent Clerc.
D) Ben Franklin.
2) In the late nineteenth century, students who were deaf or hard of hearing were educated in residential schools. During this period, which of the following statements accurately depicts the attitude toward deafness and communication?
A) Students were encouraged to sign and received intense training to improve signing skills.
B) Students who signed were made to sit on their hands because cued speech was the preferred method of communicating.
C) Students who signed were prohibited from doing so because the oral approach was the preferred method of communication.
D) Students were encouraged to use both sign language and the oral approach because this increased their vocabulary and conversational skills.
3) Which term refers to members of the Deaf community who embrace being deaf and using ASL as a primary means of communicating?
A) Deaf pride
B) Deaf culture
C) Deaf association
D) Deaf society
4) ASL stands for:
A) Approximate Sign Language.
B) Approximate Signal Language.
C) American Sign Language.
D) American Signal Language.
5) A hearing loss present at birth is:
6) Most education professionals are less interested in whether a hearing loss is congenital or acquired than they are in:
A) Whether a student’s hearing is the result of an accident or illness.
B) Whether a student’s parents were hearing or deaf.
C) Whether a student’s hearing loss was prelingual or postlingual.
D) Whether a student will be oral or use sign as his or her primary mode of communication.
7) The fluid-filled hearing organ that contains thousands of tiny cells with hair-like projections is the:
B) Ear canal.
D) Tympanic membrane.
8) The name of the three small bones in the middle ear that vibrate to amplify sound and send it into the middle ear is the:
C) Semicircular canals.
9) Sara has recently been diagnosed with a conductive hearing loss. Each of the following are options for improving her hearing EXCEPT:
D) Cochlear implant.
10) When a problem occurs in the inner ear or along the nerve pathway to the brain stem, what type of hearing loss occurs?
11) An individual who experiences hearing loss from day to day due to periodic ear infections or earwax buildup is experiencing what type of hearing loss?