Informatics And Nursing Opportunities And Challenges 4Th by Jeanne Sewell – Test Bank
1. A nursing student is using a knowledge-based digital database. Which of the following would the student expect to find?
A) Journal article on diabetes
B) Medication reference
C) A new lab procedure
D) Change in a nursing skill
2. When searching PubMed, the nurse understands that this database uses a search term structure based on which of the following?
A) Linear relationship
B) Feedback loop
D) Specific to general
3. A nurse wants to search for information about legal and ethical issues involving nursing. Which database would be most helpful for the nurse to use in this search?
C) Cochrane Library
4. A nursing student is looking for information to support evidence-based practice. Which database would be most appropriate for the student to search?
C) Cochrane Library
5. When seeking knowledge, which of the following would a nurse typically do first?
A) Search for appropriate evidence
B) Critically analyze the literature
C) Question a practice
D) Apply the search findings
6. A nursing student engaged in searching databases asks the instructor what the “advanced search” tab means. Which response by the instructor would be most appropriate?
A) “It is something that typical students don’t use because it is too complex.”
B) “This is quite helpful in letting you narrow your search a bit better.”
C) “This tab is used by librarians to search specific vocabulary search terms.”
D) “It’s not relevant to what you are doing here; just stick to the basics.”
7. A nurse is evaluating the information obtained from a search and notes that the majority of information is from reports of expert committees. The nurse interprets this research to be at which level of evidence?
A) Level VII
B) Level VI
C) Level V
D) Level IV
8. After teaching a group of students about barriers to evidence-based nursing, the instructor determines that additional teaching is needed when the students identify which of the following as a barrier?
A) Inadequacy of staff to participate
B) Difficulty in understanding research statistics
C) Positive attitudes toward information literacy
D) Accessibility of resources for searching
9. A nursing student is using Zotero. Which of the following would the student be able to do? Select all that apply.
A) Save citations
B) Take notes
C) Create reference lists
D) Hyperlink to files
E) Take photos
10. When describing the hierarchy for evaluating evidence, which of the following would the instructor identify as the highest level of evidence?
A) Evidence for a systematic review of all relevant RCTs
B) Evidence obtained from at least one well-designed RCT
C) Evidence obtained from one well-designed nonrandom controlled trial
D) Evidence from well-designed case-control and cohort studies