CJ 2nd Edition By Larry K. Gaines – Test Bank
Chapter 11 – Punishment and Sentencing
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the four basic philosophical reasons for sentencing criminals?
a. restorative justice
2. Retribution, the philosophy that those who commit criminal acts should be punished based on the severity of the crime, relies on which of the following principles?
c. just deserts
3. Which type of deterrence focuses on punishing one person, in the hopes that others will be dissuaded from committing a similar crime?
a. specific deterrence
b. general deterrence
c. overall deterrence
d. circumstantial deterrence
4. For the better part of the past three decades, the American criminal justice system has mostly rejected many of the principles of rehabilitation as a philosophical reason for punishment in favor of other, more __________, strategies.
a. community based
5. What is the main reason that criminal justice professionals are beginning to use more rehabilitative strategies as a philosophy of punishment?
a. Rehabilitative strategies are more cost-effective.
b. Rehabilitative strategies put more people in prison.
c. Rehabilitative strategies have dramatically increased public support for punishment.
d. Rehabilitative strategies have decreased community involvement.
6. Laws that require an inmate to serve a certain percentage of their sentence are called:
a. determinate sentencing laws
b. indeterminate sentencing laws
c. truth-in sentencing laws
d. good time laws
7. A period of incarceration that is fixed by a sentencing authority is called:
a. a determinate sentence
b. an indeterminate sentence
c. truth-in sentencing
d. good time sentence
8. According to your book, for which type of offense does an offender typically spend less than half of the sentenced time in prison?
d. drug trafficking
9. Judicial sentencing authority has done which of the following in the last twenty years?
c. stayed the same
d. is unable to be measured
10. A stipulation that allows a judge to adjust his or her sentencing decision based on the
special circumstances of a particular case is called a __________.